If you are in the process of applying for social security benefits due to disability, you understand how complex the process can be. You might be overwhelmed with the piles of paperwork, the gathering of medical records, and attending the hearing itself. You may be tempted to give up on your rights to disability benefits. A social security disability attorney is equipped with the necessary knowledge and tools to ensure that the process goes smoothly. Here are a few details about how here at Lettunich Law Firm a disability lawyer operates.
What Exactly Do Disability Lawyers Do?
- Develop a Plan of Action: At the most fundamental level, a disability lawyer serves to assist his or her clients in formulating the best plan of action to win a disability case. Most lawyers begin with a consultation and then move forward from there.
- Review the SSA Denial Notice: A disability attorney will review the letter from the Social Security Administration to determine its reasoning for denying your eligibility for disability benefits.
- Assist in Paperwork: Your attorney should be with you every step of the way in the SSA application process. This includes helping you fill out social security forms. If the attorney does not typically perform this step, he or she should provide a legal assistant to help you.
- Help Acquire Medical Records: Recorded medical history is usually a necessary component in successful disability cases. So disability lawyers will assist you in ordering medical records. If they skip this step, your case could be damaged, so choose a lawyer who understands the importance of this part of the process.
- Develop a Disability “Theory”: Your attorney should present a written statement to the judge explaining why you qualify for disability status. This “theory” could be based on three types of reasoning. First, your lawyer can attempt to show that your disability has prevented you from working in your past job. Second, your lawyer may choose to show that your condition limits your level of exertion in current jobs. Third, your lawyer can prove that you meet the criteria on the Social Security Administration's disability listing. If you meet this criteria, you will automatically be approved for SSA benefits.
A Disability Attorney Should Care
Most importantly, disability lawyers should care about the individual case. These attorneys take on dozens of cases a month. Even so, they understand the weight that cases like this hold for the individuals they work with. Disability lawyers seek to dignify the individual and treat each case with care and attention to detail. They understand how overwhelming the process of applying for disability status can be, and they maintain sensitivity and resilience throughout the length of the trial process. Brandon L. Lettunich, Attorney at Law is a credible and successful disability attorney in the El Paso area. Call him today to discuss the details of your SSA disability case.